April 20, 2020
TO: UNCG Faculty
RE: Call for Submissions: Course Conversion for Online Instruction
COVID 19 forced UNCG to deliver emergency remote instruction on very short notice. While faculty are to be commended for their hard work to maintain educational continuity, the circumstances were far from optimal. Many faculty did not have adequate time to redesign their courses in the manner they would prefer for online delivery. This experience makes clear that we are well advised to ensure that all faculty are well prepared to deliver coursework online. To facilitate improved online course design and delivery we are providing a Summer 2020 professional development opportunity for up to 150 faculty. The program will entail redesigning a course currently scheduled for Fall 2020 face-to-face instruction for online delivery. Specific program requirements are described below.
Faculty will be provided a $1,500 stipend for fulfilling the following requirements by August 1, 2020:
- Participate in one eight-week session that will result in a fully developed online course upon completion. This link describes the course: Sessions dates are below (Only one session is required):
- Session 1 = May 18 – July 10
- Session 2 = June 1 – July 24
- Complete the C-RAC checklist.
- Complete the QM checklist.
- Monday, April 20, 2020: Call for proposals
- Friday, May 1, 2020: Submission deadline
- Friday, May 15, 2020: Applicants notified
Please click here to apply for the stipend and provide the information that follows. This should take no more than 20-30 minutes to complete.
- First/Last Name
- Home Unit (School or College)
- Home Department
- Course Prefix
- Course Number
- Course Title
- Total number of sections of this course you teach
- Have you taught online before?
- Brief paragraph (no more than 250 words) explaining why you and this course should be selected for this opportunity.
Alternative Online Support Opportunities (not compensated)
These alternative options are also available to assist faculty who are converting courses to an online format.
- Moving Online for Fall (MOFF): This six consecutive half-day, conference-style workshop will help you assess your technology skills, plan your course content for conversion, and aid in planning how to best engage students at a distance.
- Individual Consults: Sign up for individual consultations with your academic ITCs, UNCG Online, or UTLC to assist with specific concerns regarding your course.
- ThreeMeeting Consultation: Targeted for those faculty who have taught online before, UNCG Online will help you think through your course conversion and assist you in developing a plan to execute.
- Topical Workshops: Group workshops are available on a variety of topics.
- Peer Mentor: Faculty who are experienced in online teaching may choose to serve as a peer mentor to those with less experience teaching online.
- UNC System Trainings: The UNC System will offer support to faculty transitioning their courses to the online format.
For more information please view announcements here.